Programme Information 理學碩士課程
Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a dynamic, interdisciplinary and rapidly advancing profession that addresses the technological needs of healthcare and related areas.
With an ageing world population, especially those of Hong Kong and China, and rising demand for better disease treatments, emerging health concerns caused by modern living style and continuous expansion of new medical technologies, BME professionals have promising career prospects in hospitals, R&D of healthcare technology, medical device manufacturing and sales, and service management.
This programme offers courses that cover a range of essential topics within BME including biochemical technology, medical imaging, bioinformatics, biomechanics, bionanotechnology, rehabilitation, prosthetics, medical instrumentation and medical device regulatory affairs. Administrated by the Department of Biomedical Engineering, which is the first BME department established in Hong Kong, this programme is taught by faculty members from Faculty of Medicine, School of Life Sciences and Faculty of Engineering. Students are exposed to latest technical contents accumulated by practicing specialists.
生物醫學工程 (BME) 致力於醫療保健及相關領域的技術需求發展，是一個充滿活力、跨學科和迅速發展的行業。
隨著世界人口老化 (特別是香港和中國)， 疾病治療標準持續提高，現代生活方式引起的健康問題日益嚴重，新型醫療設備的需求相繼不斷擴大，生物醫學工程(BME)專業人才在醫院、醫療保健技術研發、醫療器械製造和銷售以及服務管理上的發展機會大幅提升。
- To be the premier source of well-educated biomedical engineers in the broad fields of medical devices, biosensors, bioinformatics, biomaterials, medical biotechnologies, and to nurture future leaders in the field of biomedical engineering.
For more detail, please click below link.
Leaflet of Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering offers both part-time and full-time mode study on Master of Science Programme in Biomedical Engineering.
Part-Time Mode Study (2018-19)
- Normative Study Period *: 2 years
- Maximum Study Period: 4 years
- Tuition Fee: HK$132,000 (by 4 installments) for the whole programme (including 8 courses), HK$5,500 per unit.
Full-Time Mode Study (2018-19)
- Normative Study Period *: 1 year
- Maximum Study Period: 3 years
- Tuition Fee: HK$132,000 (by 2 installments) for the whole programme (including 8 courses), HK$5,500 per unit.
Student can select to take all 8 taught courses or 7 taught course + 1 MSc project
Remarks: * - A student who cannot complete all programme requirements within the normative study period shall write to the Graduate School for continuation of study beyond the normative study period, and will be requested to pay fees as required.
|Contact person:||Ms. Suki S.K. Chow|
|Address:||Room 1106, William M.W. Mong Engineering Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong.|
Applicants should make their applications via the Internet
24 November, 2017 (1st round)
29 December, 2017 (2nd round)
9 February, 2018 (3rd round)
8 March, 2018 (4th round)
27 April, 2018 (Last round)
After the submission of on-line application, the required supporting documents should be mailed to the Department of Biomedical Engineering.
Please send applications to:
Ms. Suki S.K. Chow
BME Program Assistant
Room 1106, William M.W. Mong Engineering Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong.
Students are required to obtain passing grades on a total of 24 units for graduation.
- Required courses: 6 units (BMEG 5710 and BMEG 5720)
- Elective courses: 18 units
Total: 24 units
1st Term: 2017-2018 (Period: September 4, 2017 (Mon) – December 22, 2017 (Fri))
2nd Term: 2017-2018 (Period: January 8, 2018 (Mon) – May 4, 2018 (Fri))
Typhoons and Black Rainstorm Arrangement
No class will be held:
- On any public holidays and;
- If typhoon signal No. 8 or black rainstorm warning is hoisted.
Suspension of Classes
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is hoisted at 5:00 p.m. , evening classes starting from 6:30 p.m. will be suspended.
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is hoisted during a class period, all classes will be suspended immediately. When the black rainstorm signal is still in force, students are advised to take shelter in a safe place until the weather and traffic conditions have improved.
The examination arrangements will be as follows:
|Typhoon Signal||Rainstorm Signal||Signal Hoisted||Examination Arrangements|
|No. 1 or No. 3||Amber or Red||-||Examinations to be held as scheduled|
|No. 8 or above||Black rainstorm||After start of examination||Examinations will continue until the end of the session|
|No. 8 or above||Black rainstorm||5:00 p.m. or after||Evening examinations will be postponed. The arrangement for the postponed examinations will be announced by the teachers concerned.|
M.Sc. Programme in Biomedical Engineering offers scholarship(s) to its BME M.Sc. graduates on annual basis. Regulations governing the award of the scholarships are as follows:
- The scholarship(s) will be awarded to BME M.Sc. graduates who are on the Dean’s List upon graduation.
- The amount of each scholarship is HK$5,000.