Programme Information 理學碩士課程
Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a dynamic, interdisciplinary and rapidly advancing profession that addresses the technological needs of healthcare and related areas.
With an ageing world population, especially those of Hong Kong and China, and rising demand for better disease treatments, emerging health concerns caused by modern living style and continuous expansion of new medical technologies, BME professionals have promising career prospects in hospitals, R&D of healthcare technology, medical device manufacturing and sales, and service management.
This programme offers courses that cover a range of essential topics within BME including biochemical technology, medical imaging, bioinformatics, biomechanics, bionanotechnology, rehabilitation, prosthetics, medical instrumentation and medical device regulatory affairs. Administrated by the Department of Biomedical Engineering, which is the first BME department established in Hong Kong, this programme is taught by faculty members from Faculty of Medicine, School of Life Sciences and Faculty of Engineering. Students are exposed to latest technical contents accumulated by practicing specialists.
生物醫學工程 (BME) 致力於醫療保健及相關領域的技術需求發展，是一個充滿活力、跨學科和迅速發展的行業。
隨著世界人口老化 (特別是香港和中國)， 疾病治療標準持續提高，現代生活方式引起的健康問題日益嚴重，新型醫療設備的需求相繼不斷擴大，生物醫學工程(BME)專業人才在醫院、醫療保健技術研發、醫療器械製造和銷售以及服務管理上的發展機會大幅提升。
- To be the premier source of well-educated biomedical engineers in the broad fields of medical devices, biosensors, bioinformatics, biomaterials, medical biotechnologies, and to nurture future leaders in the field of biomedical engineering.
For more detail, please click:
Leaflet of Master of Science in Biomedical Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering offers both part-time and full-time mode study on Master of Science Programme in Biomedical Engineering.
Full-Time Mode Study (2018-19)
- Normative Study Period *: 1 years
- Maximum Study Period: 3 years
- Tuition Fee: HK$132,000 (by 2 installments) for the whole programme (including 8 courses), HK$5,500 per unit.
Part-Time Mode Study (2018-19)
- Normative Study Period *: 2 year
- Maximum Study Period: 4 years
- Tuition Fee: HK$132,000 (by 4 installments) for the whole programme (including 8 courses), HK$5,500 per unit.
Tuition Fee of 2019-20 will announce soon
Student can select to take all 8 taught courses or 7 taught course + 1 MSc project
Remarks: * - A student who cannot complete all programme requirements within the normative study period shall write to the Graduate School for continuation of study beyond the normative study period, and will be requested to pay fees as required.
1. Qualifications for Admission:
The applicant shall have
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a Bachelor's degree in a relevant Engineering, Science, or Medical discipline, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a Bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B" in undergraduate courses; or
- completed a course of study in tertiary educational institutes and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree (not lower than Second Class or equivalent); or
- graduated with a first degree in other field (with honours not lower than Second Class or equivalent) but having extensive biomedical engineering related content; or
- applicants with degrees awarded by overseas universities by distance learning or by completing a curriculum of short duration may be required to provide assessment report from the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) on the level of qualification obtained.
2. Additional Entry Requirements:
All applicants should fulfill the General Qualifications for Admission and the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed by the Graduate School. For more details, please visit the Graduate School’s homepage at
Applicants should make their applications via the Internet
1st round: 23 November, 2018
2nd round: 28 December, 2018
3rd round: 8 February, 2019
4th round: 18 March, 2019
5th round: 30 April, 2019
**All required documentary proof of academic qualifications should reach our department on or before the deadline of each round.**
Ms. Suki S.K. Chow
BME MSc Programme Assistant
Room 1106, William M.W. Mong Engineering Building,
The Chinese University of Hong Kong,
Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong.
On-line admission system deadline: April 30, 2019.
Please contact Ms. Suki Chow (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to apply after April 30.
For your attention:
Final round for NON-LOCAL applicant: 15 May, 2019
Final round for LOCAL applicant: 15 June, 2019
Students are required to obtain a total of 24 units with all in pass grades for graduation.
- Required courses: 6 units (BMEG 5710 and BMEG 5720)
- Elective courses: 18 units
Total: 24 units
**Elective courses are offered subject to needs and availability per year**. Please refer to Teaching timetable for the most updated curriculum.
1st Term: 2018-2019 (Period: September 3, 2018 (Mon) – December 21, 2018 (Fri))
1st Term: 2018-2019 (Period: September 3, 2018 (Mon) – December 21, 2018 (Fri))
BMEG 5710 Introduction to Biomedical Engineering
BMEG 5720 Basic Biomedical Science
BMEG 5760 BioMEMS and Bio-Nanotechnology
BMEG 5820 Virtual Medicine and Computer Aided Surgery
BMEG 5910 M.Sc. Project
2nd Term: 2018-2019 (Period: January 7, 2019 (Mon) – May 3, 2019 (Fri))
BMEG 5750 Medical Robotics
BMEG 5790 Bioinformatics
BMEG 5840 Biomedical Engineering Laboratories
BMEG 5850 Medical Device Regulatory Affairs and Intellectual Property
BMEG 5910 M.Sc. Project
Q & A
1) An emerging technology discipline for the 21st century:
- Improvement of life quality
- Ageing global population
- Rapid development in E-medicine and E-health
- Healthcare has strategic socio-economic importance for Hong Kong and China
2) Career Prospects:
- Medical technology R&D in academia or hi-tech companies
- Legal professionals or government offices for supporting medical device regulatory affairs
- Medical equipment management or clinical engineering in hospitals or healthcare service providers
- Sales and marketing for healthcare market
- Medical & Healthcare Professionals
What are the career prospects for BME graduates?
Our programme is established to train professional manpower for the BME and related industries. It will prepare students for a career in an industrial, clinical or research environment, independent learning, and postgraduate research or careers in industry or hospitals.
Employment opportunities are excellent and varied. Biomedical engineers can be employed by companies working in the design, development and manufacture of medical devices; in hospitals to collaborate with clinicians in offering non-clinical services; in research institutes or academia; in governmental regulatory agencies; or as technical consultants within marketing departments.
Over the years our graduates have found career opportunities in the healthcare sector, which includes medical scientists/technician in hospital authority, sales and marketing of healthcare devices, R&D and manufacturing.
My first degree in other fields (not Engineering, Science or Medical) can I also apply?
Graduated with a first degree in other fields but have appropriate experience related to biomedical engineering and/or science and technology can also apply and we will consider for admission on a case-by-case basis.
Should I need to provide Personal Statement or a Curriculum Vitae as a supporting document when I apply? What supporting documents are required for application?
Personal statement or Curriculum Vitae (CV) is not required. But you may also provide it to the Programme for reference.
You are required to submit the following application documents before the application deadlines:
- Official transcripts (with a complete record of courses attended and examination results) and grading schemes of all tertiary level studies issued by the Registry of your universities*;
- Copy of degree certificate;
- Documentary proof of fulfilling the English Language Proficiency Requirement (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL)**;
- Confidential recommendations from 2 referees; and
- Copy of your ID card or other identity document.
*Photocopies will NOT be accepted (except CUHK qualifications). Applicants should download the Transcript Submission Covering Sheet and send it to the issuing universities to apply for official transcripts. Official transcripts should be sent to us in a sealed envelope directly from the issuing university.
**For details of English Language Proficiency Requirement, please visit https://www.gs.cuhk.edu.hk/admissions/admissions/requirements
Scholarship(s) are awarded to BME M.Sc. graduates every year. Regulations governing the award of scholarships are as follows:
- Scholarship(s) will be awarded to BME M.Sc. graduates who are on the Dean’s List upon graduation.
- The amount of each scholarship is HK$5,000.
|Contact person:||Ms. Suki S.K. Chow|
|Address:||Room 1106, William M.W. Mong Engineering Building, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, N.T., Hong Kong.|
Typhoons and Black Rainstorm Arrangement
No class will be held:
- On any public holidays and;
- If typhoon signal No. 8 or black rainstorm warning is hoisted.
Suspension of Classes
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is hoisted at 5:00 p.m. , evening classes starting from 6:30 p.m. will be suspended.
- If the local storm warning signal No. 8 or above or the black rainstorm signal is hoisted during a class period, all classes will be suspended immediately. When the black rainstorm signal is still in force, students are advised to take shelter in a safe place until the weather and traffic conditions have improved.
The examination arrangements will be as follows:
|Typhoon Signal||Rainstorm Signal||Signal Hoisted||Examination Arrangements|
|No. 1 or No. 3||Amber or Red||-||Examinations to be held as scheduled|
|No. 8 or above||Black rainstorm||After start of examination||Examinations will continue until the end of the session|
|No. 8 or above||Black rainstorm||5:00 p.m. or after||Evening examinations will be postponed. The arrangement for the postponed examinations will be announced by the teachers concerned.|